- 1.5kg Lilydale Free Range Chicken, trimmed
- ½ cup store-bought spicy piri piri sauce
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- Barbecued lemon wedges, extra piri piri sauce and crusty bread rolls, to serve
Easy crunchy coleslaw
- 500g store-bought fresh coleslaw mixture (without dressing)
- ½ cup toasted mixed salad seeds (we used a mix of pumpkin seeds, pine nuts and sesame)
- ½ cup whole egg mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- To butterfly the chicken, place whole chicken breast-side down on a clean work surface. Using chicken shears or a sharp knife, cut down on both sides of the backbone and discard backbone. Trim and discard rib bones. Turn chicken over and using the palms of your hands, firmly press the breastbone to butterfly open the chicken. Score the chicken flesh in the thickest parts.
- To make the BBQ marinade, combine piri piri sauce, oil, garlic and lemon juice in shallow ceramic dish. Add chicken and liberally brush on both sides with marinade. Cover and chill for 15 minutes (or longer if time permits). Make the coleslaw.
- Preheat a greased barbecue over medium-high heat. Insert 2 long metal skewers lengthways into the thickest parts of the chicken. Place chicken onto the grill and cook for 15 minutes, brushing occasionally with remaining marinade. Turn and cook, brushing with any remaining marinade for a further 15 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 20-25 minutes or until just cooked through. Serve with coleslaw, barbecued lemon wedges, extra piri piri sauce and crusty bread rolls.
- Combine coleslaw mixture and salad seeds in a large bowl. Mix mayonnaise with lemon juice and mustard in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle mayonnaise mixture over coleslaw and gently toss to combine. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
discover delicious recipes & inspiration
Introducing Cooking with Lily, our home of mouthwatering recipes, collections and tips, prepared by some of Australia's most dedicated chefs and cooks. Ready to take your cooking to the next level?take me there