For the broth
- 1.5kg Lilydale Free Range Whole Chicken
- 5cm piece ginger, roughly chopped
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 1 bunch parsley stalks, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons black pepper corns
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 brown onions, quartered
- 3 carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 head garlic, halved
- ¼ cup parsley leaves, to garnish
- Extra virgin olive oil, to garnish
- 1 carrot, peeled, thinly sliced on angle
- 1 celery stick, thinly sliced on angle
- 2 tablespoons chives, finely sliced, to garnish
- Heat a large stock pot over a medium low heat. Drizzle olive oil and brown the chicken all over. Remove chicken. Add onion, carrots, celery, garlic and ginger and cook until aromatic. Place chicken back in pot, adding thyme, parsley stalks and black pepper. Cover with water and add apple cider vinegar. Season with salt to taste.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 1 hour. Allow chicken to cool slightly in liquid. Carefully remove chicken and set aside. Once cool enough to handle, pick the chicken meat into small pieces.
- Strain cooking liquor through a sieve lined with muslin, discarding solids.
- Return soup to a clean pot adding the fresh carrot and celery. Cook for a further 8-10 minutes or until carrot is just cooked.
- To serve, add chicken to bowls, pouring over soup and topping with chives, parsley and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
Recipe notes and tips:
- You can add rice, pearl barley, egg noodles, potatoes, dumplings, matzo balls etc. to bulk out the soup.
discover delicious recipes & inspiration
Introducing Cooking with Lily, our home of mouthwatering recipes, collections and tips, prepared by some of Australia's most dedicated chefs and cooks. Ready to take your cooking to the next level?take me there