- 600g Lilydale Free Range Chicken Breast, halved horizontally
- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasonin
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup (250mL) buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ⅓ cup whole egg mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon tabasco sauce
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 long green chilli, seeded, thinly sliced
- ¼ red cabbage, finely shredded
- ¼ green cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 small carrot, coarsely grated
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- Vegetable oil or canola oil, for deep frying
- 4 brioche rolls, split
- 1 baby cos lettuce, leaves separated
- 4 dill pickles, thinly sliced
- Shoestring fries, to serve
Buttermilk Fried Chicken Burger
45 mins Prep
15 mins Cook
- Whisk flour, Cajun seasoning, pepper and salt in a shallow bowl. Combine buttermilk and eggs in another shallow bowl. Working with 1 piece at a time, coat chicken in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Dip in buttermilk, allowing excess to drip back into bowl. Coat again in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Set aside on a plate lined with baking paper.
- Combine garlic, mayonnaise and tabasco in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, combine onion, chilli, cabbage, carrot, and lime juice and zest.
- Pour oil into a large heavy frying pan to a depth of 1 ½cm. Heat over medium heat until oil is hot (test with a small piece of bread – when bread bubbles and turns golden brown the oil is ready). Fry the chicken, in batches, until golden brown and cooked through, about 4–5 minutes per side. Transfer to a wire rack set over a baking tray; season lightly with extra salt.
- Spread rolls with spicy mayonnaise. Top with lettuce, pickles, cabbage slaw and chicken. Serve with shoestring fries.
Ingredients copied to clipboard
Link copied to clipboard
Recipe saved to Favourites