- 500g Lilydale Free Range Chicken Thigh Fillets, cut into 4cm pieces
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, cut into ribbons
- 1 large carrot, peeled, cut into ribbons
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1 green onion, trimmed, thinly sliced diagonally + extra, thinly sliced, to serve
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon castor sugar
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup cornflour
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- Steamed jasmine rice, pickled ginger, Japanese mayonnaise and lime wedges, to serve
Karaage Chicken With Pickled Salad & Jasmine Rice
15 mins Prep
15 mins Cook
- Place chicken in a large snaplock bag, and add soy, ginger and mirin. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the cucumber, carrot, radish, cabbage and green onions in a bowl. Whisk lemon juice, rice wine vinegar and sugar together. Season and drizzle over the vegetables. Toss to coat and set aside.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and pat dry. Pour oil into a large saucepan coming about 5cm up the sides. Heat oil on medium-high heat, heat up to 170°C or until a cube of bread turns golden when dropped into the oil.
- Combine the flours together in a large snaplock bag, season and add a third of the chicken. Toss to coat, shake off excess flour and fry in the oil. Turn chicken for 3–4 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer chicken to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Repeat this process with remaining chicken, reheating the oil between batches.
- Sprinkle chicken with extra green onion. Serve with pickled salad, rice, Japanese mayonnaise and lime wedges.
Ingredients copied to clipboard
Link copied to clipboard
Recipe saved to Favourites