It’s time to step up your noodle game with this fast and easy recipe for Mie Goreng (fried noodles). Take it up a notch with tender chicken, sweet prawns and loads of healthy vegetables. Make it as spicy as you like.
- 2 Lilydale chicken breast fillets, finely sliced
- 250g dried fine egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 eggs
- 80ml peanut oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 long red chilli, deseeded and sliced
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp dried shrimp paste
- 1 celery stalk, finely sliced
- 1 bok choy, finely sliced
- ¼ wombok cabbage, finely sliced
- 100g bean sprouts, trimmed
- 1 lebanese cucumber, julienned
- Fried shallots, Fresh lime wedges and Coriander leaves to garnish
- Cook noodles according to packet instructions, then drain and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the kecap manis, soy and lime juice, then set aside.
- Beat the eggs lightly with 2 tablespoons of water.
- Heat the wok over high heat. Add one tablespoon of oil, then add the egg and swirl around the wok to make a thin omelette. When just set, carefully remove from wok to a clean chopping board. Roll up and slice.
- Return the wok to the heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil and cook the chicken pieces on both sides, then remove to a clean plate and set aside.
- Add remaining oil to the wok and stir fry the garlic, chilli, spring onions and shrimp paste for 1-2 minutes. Add the celery, bok choy and cabbage and stir fry for a further 1-2 minutes until just tender.
- Add the noodles, chicken, omelette and sauce from point 2. Keep tossing for 2 minutes to heat through until all ingredients are coated in the sauce.
- Top with bean sprouts, cucumber, fried shallots and coriander and serve immediately with a wedge of lime.
Take a look at the recipes we’re currently loving or browse through our catalogue of all-time favourites.View Recipes