- 300g Lilydale Free Range Chicken Mince
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil, plus extra for deep-frying
- 4 dried shitake mushrooms, soaked in hot water for 20 minutes, drained and finely chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoon light soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon five-spice powder
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3cm piece ginger, finely grated
- 50g beansprouts
- 2 green onions, finely sliced
- ½ small carrot, grated
- 2 tablespoons Thai basil leaves, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- Sea salt and ground white pepper
- 16 ready-made large spring roll wrappers, thawed if frozen (available from Asian supermarkets)
- 1 free range egg yolk, beaten
- Plum sauce, to serve
Chicken Spring Rolls With Plum Sauce
25 mins Prep
25 mins Cook
- Heat a wok until hot and add oil. Add chicken and mushrooms, and stir-fry for 1–2 minutes. Season with 1 tablespoon soy sauce and five-spice powder, then remove from the wok and set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Wipe the wok clean with kitchen paper.
- Place the ginger, beansprouts, green onions, carrot and Thai basil into a bowl, add the chicken and mushrooms mixture and season with the oyster sauce, remaining soy sauce, sea salt and ground white pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Lay two spring roll wrappers one on top of the other (the extra thickness will prevent the skin from breaking) and position so that the corners are pointing upwards, downwards and to the sides.
- Place one wrapper on a board with a corner pointing towards you. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the filling into the centre of the wrapper. Brush each corner of the wrapper with a little water. Then start rolling up from the bottom. When the filling is covered, pull the corners in from each side (to seal the ends as you go). Continue rolling until the filling is tightly covered, then press to seal the top corner. Seal it with a little water and brush spring roll lightly with the egg yolk. Repeat with the remaining spring roll wrappers and filling.
- Heat the wok over a high heat and fill the wok to a quarter of its depth with peanut oil. Test oil with a small piece of bread (when bread bubbles and turns golden brown the oil is ready). Carefully lower the spring rolls in small batches into the oil and deep-fry for 2–3 minutes, or until golden-brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Transfer the spring rolls onto a plate and serve immediately with plum sauce.
Tip: You can also use a deep fryer to prepare the spring rolls.
Ingredients copied to clipboard
Link copied to clipboard
Recipe saved to Favourites